23.3.12

We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos.

You know what's cathartic? Knowing that you have a small, little idea which you're actually pleased with!
Can you believe that I've fully concluded the reworked idea? And I'm actually happy with it!! The new premise is easier to execute, more comical and all in all, a bit more... Me.

There are about 10 new storyboards. the good thing is, animation is mainly prominent within lip syncing and that's pretty straight forward depending on how I go about it, I could make a series of standard faces with different mouth movement on each and just sync it up digitally, or do it all traditional, I'm more tempted by the former since, well... It's easier.

Scene 1, the opening scene is well is under way, backgrounds, although not as I'd like them are at a stage where I can go, "It'll do" and use them. "It'll do" isn't a commonly used quote I say, in fact, I never say it. It's only after meeting Illustrator Paul Hess that brought about this sense of having importance in drawing a line with your work, I explain to Mr. Hess that I am a perfectionist and it was great having an individual from industry being able to relate to the issue's that I'm constantly met with. He explained that you should draw the line, that you do need a life outside of work and that although you, yourself may not like the standard of work, the viewer's or in this case, audience will think differently and it's relaxing to a degree knowing this. Backgrounds are a contrast to animation and you'll find that a detailed background allows for bold character animation to stand out more... If you didn't already know, not only that but working with backgrounds is, like I've said, something i'm really not keen on, next to 3D animation, it isn't my strong point but I like to think that I'm getting there.

So, back to the point about work.

With there being 10 storyboards each consisting of 9 images that's about 90 scenes accounted for, thankfully, not many of them are really in depth... In fact, I've worked it so that it focuses on loops and drawn out scenes which don't require allot of animation, lazy, but it's really getting there and knowing this is great!

As to date this is the end of the 8th week and that IS scary but I'm thinking that yeah, I should be sound if I stick at it and really just grit my teeth... Easier said than done. Finally, here's 3 tests of the same animation, why 3? Well, let me elaborate.

With Test 1, I did exactly what I usually do, took pictures of pictures and made them move. I captured on 2's with each image and I think you can see that although somewhat smooth, it takes to long to get from one emotion to the other, especially considering that the emotional shift includes shock and when you think of shock, you think, "BAM!" it's instantaneous, shock isn't a slow build up, it's a hit to the system and this first test was missing that. 


Test 2 took the frames from Test 1 and reworked them to achieve a greater sense of emotional shift from A to B, whereas before the transition was smooth, here it's erratic and Piper is put on edge in an instant instead of having a slow build up. What's good is that frames were taken out and the overall animation benefits from the lack of frames, makes the job SO much easier.  


Test 3 brought the timing of Test 2 and rounded it off with the last few frames, I'm actually pleased with the outcome and it's nice to know that my skill as a traditional animator is slowly improving and it's nice to see the ball slowly moving but it's a hobby and to be able to pursue a career in something I love is something only few can brag about.

No comments:

Post a Comment