4.5.11

First time with Photoshop, the Animatic that followed, the realisation of the 2.5D Animation and the unconfirmed Remake.

Though this may lack continuity in terms of the last post, it's something I still need to, sadly, share with you lovely valued viewer's. Up until I started the course I had barely used Photoshop if at all, I didn't know the in's and out's of it and it's never been more so apparent than with my animatic.



This was also my first time animating in Photoshop and again it shows, it lacks any polish and I have a hard time looking at it never mind uploading it. That said, it was through blunt criticism about my colouring technique which made me approach Photoshop in a completely different manner and within the past few month's, not to sound big headed, but I've improved greatly from where I started.

The animatic was to depict the original concept of the 2.5D Humpty Dumpty story I had, the original concept was that Humpty Dumpty was a character in a puppet world, though he saw it as reality and his world as a fantasy realm of wonder, he returns home to witness his wife playing a game with the three little pigs and instantly jumps to conclusions. Assaulting the pigs and running out the house, Humpty wanders into the night, drinking, acting violently and awaking upon a set-piece building. From the sky a shadow lurks and grabs Humpty Dumpty, the shadow as it turns out, is a hand and Humpty Dumpty is cracked open over a frying pan.

At the time I liked the concept for the animation though looking back at it, I hate it, I hate the character designs I did, the world I made, the lack of flow, it's a really ugly piece.

As for the final 2.5D animation itself, it followed a completely different narrative, as I stated in my last post I was trying to emulate Tom and Jerry just a bit too much as well as the detailed work of Todd Schorr, an artist who I aspire greatly too, I had went back and changed the character designs and the story completely. Humpty Dumpty was still the central protagonist though instead of his own self insecurity being the villain, it was the Big Bad Wolf, Humpty returns home to find his Wife (know an egg herself) smashed to bits, Humpty panics and runs out of his apartment and onto the balcony where he breaks through the barrier, dropping to the ground the Big Bad Wolf pursues and waits eagerly with a giant frying pan at the bottom, sadly he's hit by a bus and killed whilst Humpty hits the ground soon after, a tragic end to a tragic animation.



There were about 200 assets prepared for this animation but I never got all together in time and I ultimately lost interest... Or did I? I had been FAR too ambitious with my 2.5D animation, a more reasonable approach would have been to shorten the story and work with a much simpler premise but to be fair I'm glad that the pay off wasn't as self gratifying as I hoped, it's a simple case of trial and error.  

Now then, I've went back to the story of Humpty Dumpty and the Big Bad Wolf and I've this time drawn influence from Fons Schiedon to fuel my work. The new look of Humpty Dumpty is much simpler though I find expresses much more and the same applies to the Big Bad Wolf, the premise is shorter, snappier, random yes but unexpected and it's something I'm going to get finished during the
Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment